Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Our trip

Ok, so we're back from Toronto and visiting Kelvin's family. It was a pretty good time that we had too. Toronto and the rest of the GTA is pretty huge for this country bumkin so the amount of people was, to say the least, a little overwhelming for me.

The first night I stayed with my Uncle in downtown Toronto and had a nice visit. He has this really cool bed that comes out of the wall and is uber comfortable. I had a good sleep that night even though I lost two hours just going to Ontario.

The next day I met Kelvin at Union Station where he came by Via train. We boarded the Go Train to Bramalea and then a Go Bus to Georgetown where his mom lives. We visited with her until that Thursday while catching up with all the folks that still live there and remember Kelvin growing up. We did a day trip out to Terricota (sp?), the bad lands, forks of the credit river, and Bell's Fountain. It was very pretty there. The best thing about Georgetown is that we actually had to leave Toronto to get there. Everything is so much all one big city that we never seemed to leave Toronto to get to the next city. Georgetown is pretty rural and a very beautiful place...it was my favorite by far. It was also way cool to see where Kelvin grew up and meet some of his friends that are still there. It's a whole side of Kelvin I've never been able to see before last week....pretty nifty!!

On Thursday, Kelvin's mom left for her road trip and Kelvin's dad came to pick us up and we spent the rest of the week with him and his wife. They live in Etobicoke (which is really Toronto) and only about 10 minutes from the airport. Kelvin's dad is a retired Air Canada worker and so it was really nice to be able to get him to give us the drive to the airport when we needed to go.

While we were in Etobicoke, we were able to take a day trip to Niagara Falls with his dad and step mom. It was the second time that I've been there and it was just as beautiful the second time. This time, Kelvin, myself, and his dad went on the Maid Of the Mist boat tour. It was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life. They bring you so close to the falls that you can't help but be completely in awe!! I will try and post some pictures when I get them. Kelvin took them on his cell phone and I have yet to upload them to my computer but when I do....

Yesterday, we went to the Canada celebrations at the beach. It was totally loaded with people like usual and a good time was had by all. We all got sunburned a little but nothing that will keep us from anything. The fireworks last night were truly awesome and again there were thousands of people there taking it in. I love Canada Day in Cold Lake!!!!

Today, is the first official work day for Kelvin as a Master Corporal. He got his promotion officially for June 30 but that was the day we were travelling back from Ontario. He had to sport his new rank this morning before he left for work....looked good on him too!! The part that I don't like about it is that, he will have to go to Borden, I think, at some point to do a course. This course is seven, yes seven long weeks of 14-16 hour days away from all of us. I'm hoping that they won't get on that too quickly and maybe he won't have to go before next April when he has the opportunity to retire from the military with his pension and do something else. He isn't looking forward to it either as it is a super hard course that is brand new and long.

Well, I guess that's about it for now. I best be getting ready for my first day back at work after my holiday. The kids are all still sleeping and it's so nice just to have peace and quiet while I do my morning routine. I hope this continues since I was thinking that I would lose my quiet time now that school was out...perhaps if I stay really quiet.......

Until next time.......

No comments: